Mirae Asset Horizons S&P 500 Daily (2x) Leveraged Product* (*This is a synthetic product) ("Product")
- The Product is a derivative product and not intended for all investors. There is no guarantee of the repayment of principal. Therefore your investment in the Product may suffer substantial/total losses.
Long term holding risk
- The Product is not intended for holding longer than one day as the performance of the Product over a period longer than one day will very likely differ in amount and possibly direction from the leveraged performance of the Index over that same period (e.g. the loss may be more than twice the fall in the Index).
- The effect of compounding becomes more pronounced on the Product’s performance as the Index experiences volatility. With higher Index volatility, the deviation of the Product’s performance from the leveraged performance of the Index will increase, and the performance of the Product will generally be adversely affected.
- As a result of Daily rebalancing, the Index’s volatility and the effects of compounding of each day’s return over time, it is even possible that the Product will lose money over time while the Index’s performance increases or is flat.
- The Product will utilise leverage to achieve a Daily return equivalent to twice (2x) the return of the Index. Both gains and losses will be magnified. The risk of loss resulting from an investment in the Product in certain circumstances including a bear market will be substantially more than a fund that does not employ leverage.
Synthetic replication and counterparty risk
- The Product seeks to obtain the required exposure through one or more Swaps with different Swap Counterparties. The Product is therefore exposed to counterparty risk and default risk of the Swap Counterparties and may suffer significant losses if a swap counterparty fails to perform its obligations. Derivative instruments are subject to valuation risk and liquidity risk and are susceptible to price fluctuations and higher volatility, which may results in large bid and offer spreads with no active secondary market. The Product may suffer losses potentially equal to the full value of the derivatives.
- Any delay in the cash payment by the Swap Counterparty to the Product prior to the end of the relevant trading day may cause the Product’s exposure to a Swap Counterparty to be larger than zero from time to time. This may result in significant losses for the Product in the event of the insolvency or default of that Swap Counterparty.
Intraday investment risk
- The leverage factor of the Product is normally reset to 2x at the end of a Business Day. As such, return for investors that invest for a period less than a full trading day may be greater than or less than two times (2x) leveraged investment exposure to the Index, depending upon the movement of the Index from the end of the Business Day until the time of purchase.
Foreign exchange risk
- The Units of the Product listed on the SEHK are traded in HKD, but the Net Asset Value of the Product and the Index are calculated in USD. Accordingly, Unitholders will be exposed to foreign exchange currency risks arising from the fluctuations of HKD and USD. Unitholders may suffer a loss if USD depreciates against HKD, irrespective of the performance of the Index.
- The Product’s investments are concentrated in the United States. The value of the Product may be more volatile than that of a fund having a more diverse portfolio of investments.
Risks of investing in fixed income securities
- The Product is exposed to the credit/default risk of issuers of the debt securities that the Product may invest in.
Interest rate risk
- Investment in the Product is subject to interest rate risk. In general, the prices of debt securities rise when interest rates fall, whilst their prices fall when interest rates rise.
Credit ratings risks
- Credit ratings assigned by rating agencies are subject to limitations and do not guarantee the creditworthiness of the security and/or issuer at all times.
Passive investments risks
- The Product is not “actively managed” and therefore the Manager will not have discretion to adapt to market changes when the Index moves in an unfavourable direction to the Product. In such circumstances the Product will also decrease in value.
- The trading price of the Units on the SEHK is driven by market factors such as the demand and supply of the Units. Therefore, the Units may trade at a substantial premium or discount to the Net Asset Value.
- As investors will pay certain charges (e.g. trading fees and brokerage fees) to buy or sell Units on the SEHK, investors may pay more than the Net Asset Value per Unit when buying Units on the SEHK, and may receive less than the Net Asset Value per Unit when selling Units on the SEHK.
Tracking error and correlation risks
- Due to fees, expenses, transaction costs as well as costs of using financial derivatives, liquidity of the market and the investment strategy adopted by the Manager, the correlation between the performance of the Product and the two times (2x) Daily performance of the Index may reduce. The Manager will monitor and seek to manage such risk in minimising tracking error. There can be no assurance of exact or identical replication at any time of two times (2x) the Daily performance of the Index.
- The Product may be terminated early under certain circumstances, for example, where there is no market maker, the Index is no longer available for benchmarking or if the size of the Product falls below USD10 million. Any distribution received by a Unitholder on termination of the Product may be less than the capital initially invested by the Unitholder, resulting in a loss to the Unitholder.
Reliance on market maker risks
- Although it is a requirement that the Manager will ensure that at least one market maker will maintain a market for the Units and gives not less than 3 months’ notice prior to terminating market making arrangement under the relevant market maker agreement, the Product may be required by the SFC to be terminated if there is no market maker for the Units. There is no guarantee that any market making activity will be effective.